Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Meeting Dr. Times And A Little Fear

I met with my surgeon today. It was exhausting. I was there for two hours and most of the time was with the nurse telling me stuff that went over my head. There was so much information it finally became "blah, blah, blah". She sent me home with yet another folder. Everyone has folders and I'm supposed to put them in my big notebook. That's overwhelming and I don't want to mess with it, so it's all in a stack. I feel like I need a personal assistant just to control their print outs!


Dr. Times came in for about twenty minutes of the two hours. Things don't sound so bad. I guess if you're going to get cancer, I have about the best situation a person could have. Praise God for that one.

Here's a cool video about a day in the life of Dr. Times. I really enjoyed talking with him and like him a lot.

Apparently, prior to the outpatient surgery, I have to have two procedures that help with the surgery. I am so not looking forward to those, as they involve needles and I have to be awake, although, numbed. They said I'd be numbed for the biopsy, too, but I could feel it for a bit. It's not going to be a fun morning. But, from the sound of things, after those two procedures, it seems as if I'll be comfortable with very little pain even after the surgery.

Those of you that pray for me, pray for those procedures, as just the thought of them make me anxious. I won't be thinking of them - except at 2:00 a.m.  You know how that goes!

I know I'm not alone in this. God has assured me that He is with me and before me. So, here's my song for today, "You're Not Alone".

I am determined not to fear - even if it's a needle (or several). Because fear is the opposite of faith and God has already been so good in all of this. There's certainly more to praise than fear and I determine to concentrate on that. Faith sustains life and if I keep my eyes on what God says I know any fear can be defeated and driven out of my life. The fear, anxiety, stress - that's not what God wants for me, so I have to keep my eyes on Him. There's really no choice. And that's where I'll find my peace - keeping my eyes on Jesus and what the Word of God says.

One thing I read in my Bible today says, "The LORD delivers me, and under His wings I take refuge. His truth is my shield and buckler. I am not afraid of the terror by night; nor of the arrow that flies by day. A thousand may fall at my side, and ten thousand at my right hand; but it will not come near me!" (Psalm 19:3-7)

I have a couple of more doctors to meet in my near future. I'm just taking it all one day at a time, one doctor at a time, one paper at a time. And when I get overwhelmed or stressed or fearful, I'll look to my God, who comforts me.

2 comments:

  1. Well, you're on your way! Yes, you are very fortunate to have a treatable cancer, but the treatment is no fun! However, having been down that road with my Larry, I know you will meet the most amazing people, learn so much about yourself, and find life sweeter with everyday. I'm keeping you at the top of my prayer list Laurie, and I know you and Larry will get through this just fine. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. In talking with people who have been through this experience, it is a huge support. I hope to be able to encourage someone who might be going through this someday.

    ReplyDelete